Postal Address:  Ash Hill Road, Ash, Surrey, GU12 5DP.

Telephone Number:  01252 315569.          

Fax: 01252 316612.  Email  address:  [ ]

CAB logo
Find your local
CAB branch

Guildford Borough Council logo

[ GBC ]

[ Adviceguide ]
Adviser of Year.
About Us.
Contact Us.
Email Advice.
Debt and Money.
Social Policy Index.
Dentistry Index.
Phone numbers.
Links Index.
CAB History.
Annual Report.

[  CLA  ]
Community Legal Service logo

NHS Dentistry

Exemptions from NHS Dentistry Charges


Who is entitled to free dental care?   

You can get free NHS dental treatment if you are:     


    *    under 18    

    *    18 and in full-time education

    *    pregnant, or have had a baby in the 12 months before treatment starts,

    *    An NHS Hospital Dental Service patient (but  you may be charged for dentures and bridges)


You are also entitled to free NHS dental treatment if you or your partner, receive any of the following:


     *      Income Support

      *      Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance

      *      Income-related Employment and Support Allowance

      *      Pension Credit Guarantee Credit; or

      *      you are named on, or entitled to an NHS tax credit exemption certificate

      *      you are named on a valid HC2 certificate.


Partial help


If you are named on a valid HC3 certificate, you might get some help towards the cost of your NHS

dental treatment. The certificate tells you how much you will have to pay.


How do I get an HC2 or HC3 certificate?


To apply for an HC2 or HC3 certificate, you should complete form HC1 available from Jobcentre Plus

offices or most NHS hospitals. Your doctor, dentist or optician may have one too. You can also get an

HC1 by calling 0845 610 1112.


Pregnant women and those who have had a baby in the previous 12 months


To apply for your maternity exemption certificate ask your doctor, nurse, midwife or health visitor for

Form FW8. They will also have to sign the form to confirm your statement.  Your exemption certificate

will last until 12 months after the expected date of birth.  If your baby is born early, you can continue to

use your exemption certificate until it expires.  If your baby is born late, you can apply for an extension. If

you apply after your baby is born, your exemption certificate will run for 12 months from your baby’s birth.

You can use a MatB1 certificate as evidence of entitlement to free dental care. MatB1 certificates are

issued by your GP or registered midwife


How do I claim for help with NHS dental charges?


Tell the dentist you want NHS treatment when you make the appointment and sign the form you are

given when you go for treatment.  If you do not have to pay, put a cross in the appropriate box.  If you

have a valid HC2 certificate or Tax Credit Exemption Certificate, write in the certificate number.  If you

have a valid HC3 certificate, write in the certificate number and the maximum your certificate says you

can pay. You will pay either what appears on the certificate or the actual charge, whichever is the least.

You will be asked to show proof of your entitlement to help with dental costs.  If you are not sure you are

entitled to help, then you must pay.  You can claim a refund, but make sure you keep all receipts.


Dentistry Index Services Charges Useful Facts Disabled people Orthodontics